And now her eyes met his.
He seemed to cross a line. In the very structure of her face, in geometries of underlying bone, lay coded histories of dynastic flight, privation, terrible migrations. He saw stone tombs in steep alpine meadows, their lintels traced with snow. A line of shaggy pack ponies, their breath white with cold, followed a trail above a canyon. The curves of the river below were strokes of distant silver. Iron harness bells clanked in the blue dusk.
Laney shivered. In his mouth a taste of rotten metal.
The eyes of the idoru, envoy of some imaginary country, met his.
JULY 2014 IN FILM
Finalizing a small essay on the Emmanuelle series. Working for the Fantasia International Film Festival; catching a few films there (bracketed T’s stand for theatrical viewing), hosting others (including the world premiere of the excellent The Creeping Garden, and the screening of lovely Josephine Decker’s Thou Wast Mild and Lovely, not archived here because we went for beers instead of watching the film again). Squeezing in a few films for fun, going nuts about the Scream Factory label (mental note to pursue the Tobe Hooper marathon, before transitioning into Abel Ferrara next month). Highlights: Miike’s welcome return to high-energy slapstick comedy with The Mole Song, Kumiko, Demon of the Lute, Guardians of the Galaxy and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 — perhaps my favorite slasher sequel since Slumber Party Massacre 2 and the ever-amazing curveball that is Halloween III: Season of the Witch. Currently reading: William Gibson’s Virtual Light (1993).
- EMMANUELLE L’ANTIVIERGE (Francis Giacobetti, 1975)
- GOODBYE, EMMANUELLE (François Leterrier, 1977)
- HAPPY CHRISTMAS (Joe Swanberg, 2014)
- EMMANUELLE 4 (Francis Leroi & Iris Letans, 1984)
- STAGE FRIGHT (Jerome Sable, 2014)(T)
- THE MOLE SONG: UNDERCOVER AGENT REIJI (Takashi Miike, 2013)(T)
- LIVE (Noboru Iguchi, 2014)(T)
- LIFE AFTER BETH (Jeff Baena, 2014)(T)
- THE RESURRECTION OF WILLIAM ZERO (Dan Bush, 2014)(T)
- KUMIKO, THE TREASURE HUNTER (David Zellner, 2014)(T)
- THE FUNHOUSE (Tobe Hooper, 1981)
- DEMON OF THE LUTE (Lung Yi-sheng, 1983)(T)
- FINAL EXAM (Jimmy Huston, 1981)
- LIFEFORCE (Tobe Hooper, 1985)
- THE CREEPING GARDEN (Tim Grabham & Jasper Sharp, 2014)(T)
- AUX YEUX DES VIVANTS (Julien Maury & Alexandre Bustillo, 2014)(T)
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (James Gunn, 2014)(T)
- THE GREEN INFERNO (Eli Roth, 2013)(T)
- THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 (Tobe Hooper, 1986)(T)
- GUNNIN’ FOR THAT #1 SPOT (Adam Yauch, 2008)(T)
- I AM A KNIFE WITH LEGS (Bennett Jones, 2014)(T)
- CYBERNATURAL (Leo Gabriadze, 2014)(T)
- THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (Tobe Hooper, 1974)(T)
- TOM GOES TO THE MAYOR, 1x05: “Rats Off to Ya!” (2004)
- TIM & ERIC AWESOME SHOW, GREAT JOB!, 2x08-09